Wed October 3, 2012
Steven Bender: Films Of The Mexican-American Experience
Steven Bender is a law professor at Seattle University. He writes about the policies and issues involving Mexican–Americans. And, he’s also kind of obsessed with deconstructing popular culture messages about the lives and experiences of Latinos, because he’s seen a lot of negative stereotypes. Professor Bender talked with KUOW's Jamala Henderson about watching three films that present a more nuanced portrayal of Mexicans and the Mexican–American experience.
Cheech and Chong, "Born in East LA"
Other stories from KUOW Presents:
- Museum Opens At 'Cuckoo's Nest' Film Site
- With Sawdust And Paint, Locals Fight To Save Peru’s Glaciers
- College Student Recalls High School Homelessness
- Growing Up Near Hanford With Washington State Poet Laureate Kathleen Flenniken
- Steven Bender: Films Of The Mexican-American Experience
- Writer's Almanac