Tagged: Joint Base Lewis-McChord

Pages

Joint Base Lewis-McChord Murder Case
10:25 am
Fri January 18, 2013

Military Judge Orders Sanity Review For Soldier Accused In Massacre

Credit High Desert Warrior

Attorneys for Staff Sergeant Robert Bales say they’re unsure if they’ll pursue a mental health defense in the case. 

But if they do, the judge has ordered that the soldier must undergo a so-called sanity board review.

Bales is accused of murdering 16 Afghan civilians and wounding six others in an overnight rampage last March.

Read more
Death Penalty
11:51 am
Wed December 19, 2012

Army Orders Sgt. Bales To Capital Court Martial

Credit High Desert Warrior

Originally published on Wed December 19, 2012 3:56 pm

The U.S. Army announced Wednesday that Staff Sgt. Robert Bales will face a general court-martial on 16 counts of premeditated murder and other charges. If convicted, the maximum penalty is death. The decision follows a pretrial hearing last month.

An attorney for  Bales says she's "disappointed" by the Army's decision to seek the death penalty against the Washington-based soldier accused of massacring Afghan villagers in March.

Read more
Military
7:38 am
Mon November 19, 2012

Army's I Corps Role Will Shift To Pacific Rim

Credit Photo courtesy of I Corps
Lt. Gen. Robert Brown, I Corps commander

This month Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta laid out plans for the future of the US military. And as troops return from Afghanistan, that strategy includes shifting security operations to the Pacific Rim. Soldiers from Joint Base Lewis-McChord (JBLM) will play a major role in that plan.

Read more
Military
9:45 am
Sat November 10, 2012

Afghan Witnesses Describe Horror At Bales Hearing

Updated: Tuesday, November 12, 1:00 p.m.

Witnesses and survivors recounted a horrific scene following a massacre at two villages in Kandahar Province March 11 that killed 16 civilians and wounded six. They testified via a live video link from Afghanistan during a pretrial hearing for Army Staff Sgt. Robert Bales at Joint Base Lewis-McChord in Washington state.

Read more
Military
11:46 am
Fri November 9, 2012

Reporter Update: Joint Base Lewis-McChord Soldier Accused Of Massacre

Pre-trial hearings continue this evening at Joint Base Lewis-McChord for Army Staff Sergeant Robert Bales. He’s accused of massacring 16 civilians in Afghanistan, including nine children. Prosecutors say he left his base last March and went on an overnight five-hour killing spree.

The hearings will determine whether the case will advance to court-martial, where the government has said it plans to seek the death penalty. KUOW’s Sara Lerner spoke with Patricia Murphy, who’s covering the hearings.

Pages