Tagged: Robert Bales

Pages

Joint Base Lewis-McChord Murder Case
10:25 am
Fri January 18, 2013

Military Judge Orders Sanity Review For Soldier Accused In Massacre

Credit High Desert Warrior

Attorneys for Staff Sergeant Robert Bales say they’re unsure if they’ll pursue a mental health defense in the case. 

But if they do, the judge has ordered that the soldier must undergo a so-called sanity board review.

Bales is accused of murdering 16 Afghan civilians and wounding six others in an overnight rampage last March.

Read more
Death Penalty Decision
9:12 am
Thu December 20, 2012

Bales Defense Team Calls Army's Decision 'Disappointing'

Credit High Desert Warrior

Originally published on Wed December 19, 2012 4:01 pm

The top forces commander at Washington’s Joint Base Lewis-McChord has decided to seek the death penalty against Staff Sgt. Robert Bales. He’s the 39-year old soldier accused of murdering 16 Afghan civilians earlier this year.

Bales is accused of conducting two predawn raids on villages in southern Afghanistan. The victims were mostly women and children and the Army says some of the bodies were burned. Prosecutors had asked for a death penalty trial and top commanders at Lewis-McChord agreed.

Read more
International News
9:00 am
Thu December 20, 2012

The Risks Of Reporting From Syria

Credit AP Photo/Burhan Ozbilici
About 200 Turkish journalists march to the Syrian embassy in Ankara, Turkey, Friday, Aug. 31, 2012, to demand Syria free their colleagues Turkish cameraman Cuneyt Unal and Bashar Fahmi. Unal has been released, but Fahmi's status is still unknown.

According to the Committee to Protect Journalists, 28 reporters have been killed Syria this year — making it one of the most dangerous places on earth for the media to cover. What makes reporting from Syria so dangerous, and why do journalists continue to risk their lives for the story? 

Read more
Death Penalty
11:51 am
Wed December 19, 2012

Army Orders Sgt. Bales To Capital Court Martial

Credit High Desert Warrior

Originally published on Wed December 19, 2012 3:56 pm

The U.S. Army announced Wednesday that Staff Sgt. Robert Bales will face a general court-martial on 16 counts of premeditated murder and other charges. If convicted, the maximum penalty is death. The decision follows a pretrial hearing last month.

An attorney for  Bales says she's "disappointed" by the Army's decision to seek the death penalty against the Washington-based soldier accused of massacring Afghan villagers in March.

Read more

Pages