KUOW News Director
Req #: 186487
Department: KUOW / PSPR
Job Location: Seattle Campus
Job Location Detail: U District
Posting Date: 01/15/2021
Closing Info: Open Until Filled
Salary: Salary and benefits are competitive. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Shift: First Shift
Notes: The University of Washington is following physical distancing directives from state and local governments as part of the collective effort to combat the spread of COVID-19. “Onsite work” in the interim will vary for units and for specific positions and will be discussed with candidates during the interview process.
KUOW Puget Sound Public Radio is Seattle’s NPR news station. We are an independent, nonprofit news organization producing award-winning journalism, podcasts and events in service to the 3.9 million people in our coverage area. As a self-sustaining service of the University of Washington, our mission is to create and serve a more informed public.
We are looking for an inspiring, experienced and mission-driven individual to lead our news team into the next phase of growth and excellence. As an innovative team manager and builder, you will pursue new and exciting ways to make KUOW’s newsroom even more effective at serving its mission and our community. As a persuasive and passionate communicator, you will develop and implement strategies to ensure the long-term success of the news department and KUOW.
KUOW believes attracting and retaining diverse staff is crucial to serving our community and fulfilling our mission to create and serve a more informed public. Women, Black, Indigenous and people of color, LGBTQ+ individuals, people with disabilities and veterans are highly encouraged to apply.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
•Creates and implements KUOW Newsroom editorial vision, policies and priorities.
• Manages news content production and ensures that such content is consistent with the mission, goals, and editorial policies of the station.
• Supervises professional staff of editors, reporters and producers; provides orientation and training for all assigned staff; supervises news coverage, conducts annual performance evaluations.
• Manages resources: monitors news production budget; ensures that reporting produced by news staff, commissioned reports, or reports produced in collaboration with any other stations or organizations meets professional editorial and technical standards.
• Determines, oversees and coordinates online and digital editorial strategy and collaborates on new digital news products.
• May make public appearances on behalf of the station, including on-air fundraising.
• Works with other departments as needed and as directed by the Chief Content Officer.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Field reporting experience; broadcast or digital.
• Newsroom management experience, and/or considerable editing experience that included supervising a news team.
• Deep knowledge of and commitment to the tenets, ethics of journalism and the role of journalism in society.
• Demonstrated success testing and creating innovative content on all platforms.
• History of leading content making that has meaning, purpose and toughness, while taking risks on new ideas.
• Demonstrated history of attention to racial equity in hiring and editorial practices.
• Understanding and commitment to community engagement – Has modeled/lead an audience-centered approach to coverage.
Position reports to the Chief Content Officer
Supervision of News Team
• Bachelor's degree and five years of journalism experience. Equivalent combination of education and experience may substitute for stated requirements.
• At least three years of news management experience.
• Demonstrated commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
• Demonstrated organizational and leadership abilities.
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.
• Broadcast AND digital journalism experience.
• Public Media experience.
• Budget management and strategic planning experience.
• Experience working successfully with union contracts, representatives and members.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY AND RACIAL EQUITY
KUOW and the University of Washington are equal opportunity employers. KUOW is dedicated to building a culturally diverse staff and creating a working environment that promotes racial equity and inclusiveness. We believe attracting and retaining diverse staff is crucial to serving our community and fulfilling our mission. Women, Black, Indigenous and people of color, LGBTQ+ individuals, people with disabilities and veterans are highly encouraged to apply.