Morning Senior Producer (Temporary/Fill-in)
KUOW 94.9 has an outstanding opportunity open for a Temporary, Fill-In Morning Senior Producer.
Assists in managing editorial process and produces local news segments for broadcast in KUOW daily news magazines.
Duties & Responsibilities
• Working closely with the News Host, leads the editing and production function of the daily news magazine team. 30%
• Direct and coach production team in the delivery of news segments. 5%
• Responsible for monitoring sources such as wires and social media for breaking news. 20%
• Responsible for editing, rewriting, and reviewing content by reporters and producers for newscasts. 10%
• Seeks out new voices to appear on air, and develops local and national contacts for breaking news sources. Gather sound and conduct interviews. 13%
• Strategic planning for future coverage. 5%
• Conducts research, pre-interviews and books guests for News Host. Write News Host introductions and interview questions. 5%
• Serve as "first responder" in breaking news stories that may require extended working hours. 5%
• Works with host to develop and write online posts that are updated regularly. 5%
• Performs other duties as assigned. 2%
Position reports to the Morning Editor.
Functional supervision of interns and volunteers
• Bachelor’s degree in journalism or similar field.
• Three years of professional journalism experience of increasing responsibility, preferably with background in writing for talk programming and radio production. Equivalent combination of education and experience may substitute for stated requirements.
• Demonstrated news judgment and ability to prioritize coverage.
• Excellent written and verbal skills, ability to write and produce effectively under deadline.
• Demonstrated high productivity and knowledge of professional broadcast and journalistic standards and practices.
• Knowledge of current events and Northwest issues.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team, ability to professionally represent the station.
Familiarity with and appreciation of public radio programming.
The application process for UW positions may include completion of a variety of online assessments to obtain additional information that will be used in the evaluation process. These assessments may include Work Authorization, Cover Letter, and/or others. Any assessments that you need to complete will appear on your screen as soon as you select “Apply to this position.” Once you begin an assessment, it must be completed at that time; if you do not complete the assessment you will be prompted to do so the next time you access your “My Jobs” page. If you select to take it later, it will appear on your "My Jobs" page to take when you are ready. Please note that your application will not be reviewed, and you will not be considered for this position until all required assessments have been completed.