Podcast Producer 3 (2 Openings)
Req #: 192601
Department: KUOW / PSPR
Job Location: Seattle Campus
Job Location Detail: U District
Posting Date: 07/06/2021, updated 9/9/2021
Closing Info: Open Until Filled
Salary: $5500/month minimum salary
Union Position: Yes
Shift: First Shift
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY AND RACIAL EQUITY
KUOW and the University of Washington are equal opportunity employers. KUOW is dedicated to building a culturally diverse staff and creating a working environment that promotes racial equity and inclusiveness. We believe attracting and retaining diverse staff is crucial to serving our community and fulfilling our mission. Women, Black, Indigenous and people of color (BIPOC), LGBTQ+ individuals, people with disabilities and veterans are highly encouraged to apply.
We have an outstanding opportunity for a Podcast Producer 3 to assist in the development and production of podcasts. Under the supervision of the Senior Editor, the Podcast Producer will coach and direct the production team to deliver sound-rich narrative podcast episodes. Assist the Senior Editor in managing the editorial process, as well as planning long-term and special coverage. Conceive new ideas, develop pitches and research topics.
Oversee the sound design of episodes including audio mixes and selection and commissioning of music and other sound elements. May develop and write online posts and broadcast spots of program content.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develops ideas for podcast series and original episodes;
- Pre-interview guests and provides host with original research and reporting;
- Write host introductions and interview questions;
- Oversee studio recording sessions;
- Mix audio pieces and prepare podcasts for publishing;
- Gather sound, conduct interviews in the field as assigned;
- Edit scripts;
- Coach and direct production team to deliver sound-rich narrative podcast
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Position reports to the Senior Editor.
- Bachelor’s degree and three years of professional broadcast journalism experience of increasing responsibility or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Background in news writing, radio production, and audio editing software.
- Track record of producing enterprise stories with impact.
- Self-starter with proven ability to meet deadlines and check facts.
- Impeccable journalistic integrity and editorial judgment.
- Ability to manage several projects concurrently
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team; ability to professionally represent the station; familiarity with and appreciation for public radio style programming.
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.
The application process for UW positions may include completion of a variety of online assessments to obtain additional information that will be used in the evaluation process. These may include Work Authorization, Cover Letter and/or others. Any assessments that you need to complete will appear on your screen as soon as you select “Apply to this position”. Once you begin an assessment, it must be completed at that time; if you do not complete the assessment, you will be prompted to do so the next time you access your “My Jobs” page. If you select to take it later, it will appear on your "My Jobs" page to take when you are ready. Please note that your application will not be reviewed, and you will not be considered for this position until all required assessments have been completed.
Applicants considered for this position will be required to disclose if they are the subject of any substantiated findings or current investigations related to sexual misconduct at their current employment and past employment. Disclosure is required under Washington state law.
Committed to attracting and retaining a diverse staff, the University of Washington will honor your experiences, perspectives and unique identity. Together, our community strives to create and maintain working and learning environments that are inclusive, equitable and welcoming.
Competitive salary plus outstanding University of Washington benefits.