Skip to main content

You make this possible. Support our independent, nonprofit newsroom today.

Give Now

1 student killed in shooting at North Seattle high school

Update 2:30 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 8

Seattle Mayor Bruce Harrell confirmed that, “The student who was tragically shot has passed away ... the student is deceased," following a Tuesday morning shooting at Ingraham High School.

Harrell made the announcement at a 2 p.m. press conference that also included statements from Seattle Police Chief Adrian Diaz, Seattle Public Schools Superintendent Dr. Brent Jones, and Congressmember Pramila Jayapal.

“A tragedy has struck our community today," Jones said.

“An Ingraham High School student was shot and killed this morning on campus in what was is believed to be a targeted attack," he said. "We have no reason to believe this was part of a bigger plan other than a targeted attack."

The shooting took place inside a hallway at the high school, about 100 feet from any entrance, according to Chief Diaz.

A suspect is in custody. Diaz reports that 911 calls came in around 9:55 a.m. and police officers arrived at the high school within four minutes.

“Within four minutes we had a contact team already going into the school and trying to provide CPR to the victim. Another minute later, the Fire Department was called in as well,“ Diaz said. "An hour later we were able to take the suspect into custody … our harbor officers actually located the suspect and took him into custody with the King County Sheriff’s Department. We actually recovered a firearm, we don’t’ know if that firearm was used in the school, but we did recover a fire arm."

Diaz said the arrest was made at a bus stop off 145th Street and Aurora Avenue North, about a mile away from campus. A firearm was found in the suspect's backpack.

Meanwhile, at Ingraham High School, students were being reunited Tuesday afternoon with families following a campus-wide lockdown. All activities at the high school are suspended for Wednesday and Thursday.

Diaz said SPD has recorded more than 660 shots fired so far in 2022, and has recovered even more guns.

“This year we’ve recovered 1,000 firearms — 1,000 firearms," Diaz said. "That is unheard of. Even though we’ve been short-staffed, we’ve been recovering more firearms this year than when we had full staffing. We have a gun problem.”

Chief Diaz also said guns have been recovered across various incidents, from domestic violence to road rage, drive-bys, and robberies.

Original report

Seattle Police reported a shooting at Ingraham High School Tuesday at approximately 10 a.m. Officials say the shooting took place inside the school.

So far, police report a single victim who has life-threatening injuries, and say they have a suspect in custody. Police haven't said whether the victim was a student or staff member, and haven't provided details about the suspect.

The school has been placed on lockdown as police and school officials work to set up a family reunification site at Meridian Avenue North and North 135th Street. They say they're also putting together a transportation plan for students who are unable to be picked up at the reunification site.

Lakeside Middle School, a few blocks away from Ingraham, has also been placed on lockdown, according to a teacher at the school.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

Why you can trust KUOW