Skip to main content

Donate Your Vehicle to support public radio!

If your vehicle (automobile, truck, boat, motorcycle, RV, aircraft, etc.) is no longer of use to you, it can still go a long way toward supporting local public radio as a donation to KUOW.

Our 2023 vehicle donation program is generously supported by local KIA dealers.

KUOW has contracted with CARS (Charitable Adult Rides & Services), a San Diego–based 501c3 nonprofit organization, to manage our vehicle donation program. CARS is a nationwide service and has helped raise millions of dollars to not–for–profit partners like KUOW.

To donate your vehicle, call 866.KUOW.CAR (866.586.9227) or fill out this online donation form. You can also email us at

Vehicle Donation Program Hours of Operation

5:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. (PST), Mon - Fri

6:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (PST), Saturday

8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. (PST), Sunday

Frequently Asked Questions

What do I need to donate my vehicle?

You will need the title to the vehicle, but if you do not have it, please call us anyway. It is possible that other arrangements may be made. Any lien holder listed on the title must be cleared and or released by the bank. (Please note: a clear title indicates the title is in the name of the donor without a lien.) This law varies by state. Please refer to the DOL in your state for clear instructions.

Do I need a smog certificate to donate my car?

No. You may donate your vehicle without a smog certificate or safety inspection.

What can I donate?

All vehicles are considered! We accept cars, trucks, trailers, boats, RVs, motorcycles, campers, off-road vehicles, heavy equipment and most other motorized vehicles.

My car hasn't run in years. Can I still donate it?

Yes! We can accept most vehicles running or not. However, it must have an engine and be towable. To find out if we can accept your vehicle, please complete our secure online donation form or call us toll-free at 866.KUOW.CAR (866.586.9227).

Can you pick up vehicles in all 50 states?

Yes! We can provide quick and convenient vehicle pick-up and towing just about anywhere in all 50 of the United States. If you are outside of Washington and wish to donate to KUOW, please contact us via our secure online donation form or call us toll-free at 866.KUOW.CAR  (866.586.9227).

How will my car be picked up?

Once you have provided us with all necessary information via the online donation form or over the phone with one of our operators, we will arrange to have your vehicle picked up at a scheduled time convenient for you. The vehicle will be picked up by a licensed tow company at no cost to you. The vehicle will be taken to one of our many sale locations where it will be sold.

How long will it take to pick up my car?

We will contact you within two to three business days to schedule an appointment time that is convenient for you. If you need your car picked up sooner, please let our operators know during your initial call. We will do our best to accommodate your time frame.

How is the value of my car determined?

Donors are not responsible for determining the deductible value of their donation. The nonprofit organization will report the gross proceeds raised from the sale of the vehicle to the donor and IRS. Before filing your taxes, we suggest you review IRS Publication 4303 which sets forth the manner in which the IRS requires you to determine the value of your donated property.

Will I be asked to provide a social security number?

Your social security number is required for the tax receipt if the car is valued over $500. If a donor does not wish to give their social security number they can only deduct a maximum of $500.

Is my donation tax-deductible and when will I get a tax receipt?

Yes! Your vehicle donation is tax-deductible. The amount that is tax-deductible is the sale price of the vehicle. You will receive an initial donation receipt from the tow driver at the time of your vehicle pick-up. This initial acknowledgement will indicate your name as well as the year, make, model and condition of the vehicle you are donating. You will then be mailed a tax receipt within 30 days of the sale of the vehicle. This will be your only receipt if your vehicle sells for less than $500.

If your vehicle sells for more than $500 and your tax identification number has been provided, an IRS Form 1098-C, "Contributions of Motor Vehicles, Boats, and Airplanes," will be mailed to you within 30 days of the sale stating the amount of gross proceeds received from your donation. Individual tax situations vary. For specific tax-related questions, please consult your tax advisor or refer to IRS Publication 4303.

Can I get a replacement tax receipt?

Please call us at 866.KUOW.CAR (866.586.9227) during regular hours of operation and we would be happy to help you.

What can I claim as a deduction?

According to the tax law effective January 1, 2005, if the claimed value of the donated vehicle exceeds $500, the taxpayer is limited to the gross proceeds of the sale.

What if my car is valued over $5,000?

Effective January 1, 2005, you will no longer be required to have vehicles appraised. The value you may claim will be the amount of gross proceeds received from your vehicle.

What are the IRS tax deduction requirements for a charitable donation?

While we are always open to answering any questions you may have, we realize that some donors will wish to have a more thorough and in-depth knowledge of IRS requirements for charitable donations. If you would like to do some of your own reading up on the requirements the IRS has for car donors, here are some links:

IRS Publication 526, Charitable Contributions

IRS Publication 561, Determining the Value of Donated Property

IRS Publication 4303, A Donor's Guide to Vehicle Donations

IRS Form 8283, Noncash Charitable Contributions

IRS Instructions for Form 8283, Noncash Charitable Contributions

Do I need to notify the DOL when I donate my vehicle?

Each state has different criteria on how notification is made. Some states require the license plates to be returned to the DOL and other states may require a release of liability to be submitted to your local department of motor vehicles. Please contact your state DOL for directions on how to notify the state that you are no longer the owner of the vehicle.