Skip to main content

King County Prosecutors Office prepares for a potential immigration enforcement surge

Many federal immigration officers are reportedly in the process of packing up and leaving the Twin Cities. Border Czar Tom Homan said Sunday that Operation Metro Surge is drawing down. 

The months-long campaign led to intense protest. Two American citizens were shot and killed by immigration enforcement officers during the operation.

Local prosecutors have been trying to investigate those shootings but they say they have been rebuffed by the federal government.

Earlier this week, the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension said it was denied access to evidence by the FBI meanwhile, Hennepin County prosecutors in Minneapolis are crowdsourcing evidence from people who videotaped one of the shootings. 

Like local officials everywhere, King County is navigating a shifting relationship with the federal government and the possibility that an immigration enforcement surge could happen here.

Sponsored

Guests:

Leesa Manion, King County Prosecuting Attorney

Gary Ernsdorff, Supervising Attorney at the Special Operations Unit

Relevant Links:

KCPAO: Manion Reaffirms Commitment to Protecting King County from Unlawful Deployment of ICE

Sponsored
Why you can trust KUOW