Summer 2023 applications are now closed. Applications for summer 2024 will open in February 2024.
Join our mailing list to stay up-to-date on opportunities from RadioActive.
Summer 2023 Intro Workshop information:
In RadioActive Youth Media's fun, challenging, and hands-on summer workshop, teens get paid to learn radio journalism and storytelling skills, build confidence, and work with others while producing a true radio story and podcast episode.
- The 2023 summer workshop will take place most weekdays from Monday, July 10 through Wednesday, August 9, 2023, and be held partially in-person at KUOW and partially online on Zoom. There will also be two required online prep meetings June 28 and July 5. Participants are required to attend all workshop meetings.
- This is a PAID opportunity open to teens ages 15-18 in the greater Seattle area. Youth earn $1,000 for completing the workshop.
- No previous journalism experience is necessary. In fact, we prioritize youth who are not already part of other journalism, arts and media programs. If you've never done something like this before, we encourage you to apply.
- The early application deadline is Tuesday, March 28, 2023 at 11:59 pm PT, and the final application deadline is Tuesday, May 9, 2023 11:59 pm PT. We encourage you to apply early! The application process will become more competitive after the first deadline passes.
- Youth must be eligible to work in the United States to participate.
YOU SHOULD APPLY IF:
- You are 15-18 years old and live in the greater Seattle area (Pierce, Snohomish, Kitsap, and King counties).
- You're engaged in the world. You're curious and always asking questions. You love writing and want to try telling true stories through sound.
- You want to share all sides of a story as a journalist — this workshop is NOT a platform to promote a cause, organization, or point of view.
- You're ready to try new things. No journalism experience required!
WHEN & WHERE:
- Workshop dates: Monday, July 10 through Wednesday, August 9, 2023.
→ There will also be two online prep meetings on June 28 and July 5, as well as a public Listening Party tentatively scheduled for August 19th, 2023.
- Workshop times and locations:
→ Most Mondays and Thursdays from 10am-4pm at the KUOW studios (4518 University Way NE, Seattle, WA 98105)
→ Most Tuesdays and Wednesdays 10am-12pm and 2-4pm online on Zoom (laptops and internet hot-spots provided)
→ Optional drop-in hours most Fridays. First & last Fridays we’ll meet 10am-4pm in person.
→ View the full calendar below.
Radioactive Summer 2023 Intro Workshop Calendar
Click here to see the full calendar for the summer 2023 Intro to Radio Journalism Workshop!
- Attend all workshop meetings, including prep meetings on June 28th and July 5th.
- Complete work on time (you will work outside of workshop hours to complete assignments).
- Work on your own and in small groups.
- Have fun, be creative, support others, and take risks!
- Covid-19 safety expectations: We strongly encourage all participants be fully vaccinated against Covid-19. We encourage wearing a mask while on-site and will provide masks. We also encourage weekly Covid-19 at-home testing before attending on-site workshops, and will provide Covid-19 tests to all participants.
WHAT YOU'LL GET:
- Improve your communications skills: writing, listening, and talking to people. Build your confidence and leadership skills.
- Work with professional journalists. Develop time management skills and meet deadlines in a professional setting. Learn how to give and receive feedback in a creative environment.
- Be part of a supportive, collaborative, fun group of teens. Gain mentors to support your career and education path.
- All equipment needed is provided for the duration of the program, including an audio recorder, laptop, smartphone, and/or internet hot spot if needed. Lunch and snacks are provided for in-person meeting days. Orca cards too!
- The story you produce will be published on KUOW.org and on the RadioActive podcast. Some stories may air on 94.9 FM.
- By finishing this workshop, you earn the opportunity to keep making radio at KUOW as an Advanced Producer.
- For successfully completing the workshop, you'll earn $1,000.
- Participants are selected based on the strength of their applications. We receive many more applications than we can accept, so show us your best self!
- The most important part of the application is the Story Idea. Your Story Idea should be a true story, and focused on one person you know who you can talk to this summer.
- Don't worry about having perfect grammar or spelling in your application. You don't have to write formally. We just want to get to know the real you, and what you care about.
- If you prefer to fill out a PDF version of the application, scroll down to the bottom of this page.
- All you need to submit is the application itself! Please do not submit additional materials (like a cover letter or a letter of recommendation) along with your application.
- Selected applicants will be invited to interview with RadioActive. Interviews will be held on Zoom or over the phone.
- Please note that due to limited space and a large number of applicants, completing an application and interview does not guarantee admission into RadioActive.
HOW TO APPLY:
- DIGITAL APPLICATION: The online application is now closed.
- PDF/PRINT APPLICATION: If you prefer to fill out a PDF version of the application, you can find one below. You can can email your application to Troy at firstname.lastname@example.org, or you can print and mail your application to: RadioActive/KUOW, 4518 University Way NE, Suite #310, Seattle, WA 98105.
- WORD APPLICATION: If you'd like a Word or Google Doc version of this application, send a note to Troy at email@example.com or call/text (206) 786-8012.
- If need support accessing the application, send a note to Troy at firstname.lastname@example.org or call/text (206) 786-8012.
- The 2023 early application deadline is Tuesday, March 28, and the final application deadline is Tuesday, May 9, both at 11:59 pm PT.
Email Troy Landrum Jr. at email@example.com or call/text (206) 786-8012.
PDF - RadioActive Intro Workshop Application Summer 2023 (Updated).pdf
This is a PDF version of the RadioActive summer 2023 workshop application.
Promotional Flyer - RadioActive Intro Workshop Summer 2023
An 8.5x11 in promotional flyer for the RadioActive 2023 summer Intro to Radio Journalism workshop. Educators and community leaders are encouraged to print and use to spread the word!