Skip to main content

You make this possible. Support our independent, nonprofit newsroom today.

Give Now

'Massive Explosion' From Gas Leak Levels Greenwood Buildings

Update 12:20 p.m.

Residents and businesses affected by the natural gas explosion in Greenwood early Wednesday morning are waiting for word on when they can re-enter their buildings.

One of them is Daniel Miller. He lives in an apartment just behind the site of the explosion, over the Mexican restaurant Gorditos.

He said as he came home late Tuesday night, he saw firefighters who said they were investigating a gas leak. Miller said the smell of gas in the neighborhood was overwhelming and the “massive explosion” happened about ten minutes later.

Miller: “It came through the window and just blew out all the windows in the entire house, and took the sheetrock down from the ceiling. And then flaming debris inside the house and on the deck patio that we have, too.”

Miller said he and his roommate stomped those fires out before evacuating.

Many residents and business owners are sweeping up glass and putting plywood in their windows. The explosion blew out windows in homes and businesses over several blocks.

Several businesses were destroyed. But the nine firefighters who were injured have been released from the hospital and no other injuries were reported.

The intersection at Greenwood and 85th Street was closed to traffic.

Original Post:

A gas leak explosion leveled at least three businesses early on Wednesday morning in Seattle’s Greenwood neighborhood.

The businesses flattened were on the west side of Greenwood Avenue, between Northwest 84th and Northwest 85th streets. The businesses include Mr. Gyro, Neptune Coffee and the Quick Stop on the corner. G&O Family Cyclery was ablaze after the explosion.

Eight firefighters and one other Seattle Fire staffer were transported to Harborview Medical Center for minor injuries. All nine were treated and released Wednesday morning. No casualties or other injuries have been reported.

Seattle Fire officials say they evacuated some apartments and other residences as a precaution.

The owner of the bicycle shop that was damaged told KUOW that there were no people living above the businesses.

Sirens started sounding through the Greenwood neighborhood, in North Seattle, after 1 a.m. on Wednesday; the explosion took place about half an hour later. The explosion rattled windows even blocks away.

This post has been updated since its original publication.

Why you can trust KUOW