KUOW Blog
News, factoids, and insights from KUOW's newsroom. And maybe some peeks behind the scenes. Check back daily for updates.
Have any leads or feedback for the KUOW Blog? Contact Dyer Oxley at dyer@kuow.org.
Stories
-
South King County mayors speak up about local crime
Mayors in South King County are calling on state and local leaders to do more to address crime and drugs in their cities.
The mayors of Auburn, Black Diamond, Enumclaw, Federal Way, Kent, Pacific, Renton, and Tukwila detailed their concerns in an open letter last week. They say they are frustrated with recent legal reforms surrounding policing and drug laws. The mayor of Federal Way is currently running for King County prosecutor.
"King County cities are seeing a disturbing rise in violent crime, as well as drug offenses and property crimes including auto thefts, burglaries, and robberies. Our community of residents, businesses, and visitors – the victims of these crimes – are fed up and action is necessary," the letter states.
The letter continues to point out SB 5476, which offers drug offenders options for treatment; HB 1054 which restricts when an officer can pursue a suspect in a patrol car; and a range of other arguments around the current legal and jail system. The letter also notes that the mayors are in ongoing discussions with state leaders and the King County Prosecutor's Office, and the King County Executive.
They mayors, however, did not send a copy of the open letter to the Prosecutor’s Office, and that has the office's spokesperson, Casey McNerthy, questioning the motivation behind it. He said prosecuting attorneys currently are filing 20-30 felony charges a day.
“We’re charging drug dealing cases all the time," McNerthy said. "We’re charging a gun crime every day, multiple gun crimes every day.”
He added that police officers are referring fewer crimes to their office each year, because they can only charge cases with sufficient evidence. McNerthy said the prosecutor's office filed nearly 600 cases in July alone. He also pointed out that prosecutors are filing between 20-30 cases each day while violent crime and property crimes are a priority, and that this work never halted during the pandemic.
"What we're going to do is work with police every day like we have been. and we're going to work with community groups, and we're going to work with mayors, collaboratively, for long-term solutions," McNerthy said. "Not only for prosecuting crime, but also to get at the root causes that cause this crime, because that's how you get long-term, effective change."
Kent Mayor Dana Ralph told KUOW that the message wasn't intended as an "open letter."
“This wasn’t a letter, there seems to be some confusion,” Mayor Ralph said. “This was really more of an open statement, media release … because we’re just continuing to hear significant frustration on the part of residents with the follow up of, ‘Why aren’t you doing something?’
“So it’s about this entire system not functioning together and at the end of the day, that is resulting in our residents and businesses not being safe.”
In response to the open letter/statement, Executive Dow Constantine's office released its own statement:
"It is incumbent on officials in positions of public trust to rely on facts, not hyperbole as is the case with this assertion regarding jail bookings. Over the course of a single Sunday night in July, bookings were limited to only the highest priority cases so limited jail staff could prioritize safe operations in the jail. When that one-time limitation went into effect, jail staff continued to field calls from law enforcement and allowed them to bring in high priority cases in if needed, and in fact at least one jurisdiction did so.
"Public safety is at the top of our priorities, and that means holding people accountable while also addressing underlying causes. Every level of government has a role to play in solving the issues in our streets, which have been exacerbated by a criminal court backlog created by the pandemic, decades of an underfunded behavioral health system, and centuries of institutional racism. We will continue to partner with any government committed to working productively to deliver safety rather than clinging to obsolete practices and mindsets that no longer keep our communities safe."
Continue reading » -
FAA clears Boeing to resume deliveries of 787 Dreamliner
WASHINGTON (AP) — Federal regulators said Monday they are satisfied with changes Boeing has made in the production of its 787 Dreamliner passenger jet, clearing the way for the company to resume deliveries.
American Airlines said it expects to get its first new 787 in more than 15 months as early as Wednesday.
The Federal Aviation Administration announcement confirmed reports late last month and came days after the agency’s acting chief met with safety inspectors who oversee Boeing.
The FAA said acting Administrator Billy Nolen wanted to hear about steps Boeing has taken to fix manufacturing problems and ensure independence for Boeing employees who work with regulators.
Production of the big, two-aisle 787 has been marred by several problems including gaps between panels of the carbon-composite skin, and use of unapproved titanium parts from a supplier in Italy. Those issues prevented Boeing from delivering any of the planes for most of the last two years, and about 120 have been parked while Boeing tried to fix the production process.
The FAA said it will inspect each plane before it is approved for delivery.
American Airlines was hit particularly hard by the halt in deliveries. Earlier this year, it delayed some planned international flights because Boeing wasn’t able to deliver the planes on schedule.
American said Monday that its newest 787 will come from a Boeing factory in South Carolina and is expected to begin carrying passengers “in the coming weeks.” American said that will make 47 active 787s in its fleet, with another 42 on order.
Shares of Boeing Co., which is based in Arlington, Virginia, gained less than 1% on Monday after being up nearly 4% earlier in the trading session.
Continue reading » -
Has the current Covid wave 'crested' in King County?
King County's Public Health Officer Dr. Jeff Duchin says the "CoV-19 BA.5 wave appears to have crested in King County."
What exactly does "crested" mean? Dr. Duchin says Covid levels remain higher than previous spikes in King County, aside from the recent huge omicron wave, but levels are continuing to decline.
The county's online Covid dashboard now states that the community level is "low."
King County is currently averaging 562 Covid cases each day, 21% down from a week ago. Hospitalizations have increased by 19%, however (17 daily Covid hospitalizations). Only 7% of hospital beds are occupied by Covid patients.
Continue reading » -
Dramatic twist in WA-03 as MAGA candidate overtakes Trump impeacher
The race in Washington's 3rd Congressional District in the state's southwest took a dramatic turn Monday evening, sending shockwaves through the local Republican party.
Trump-backed Republican Joe Kent pulled ahead of incumbent GOP Congresswoman Jaime Herrera Beutler. The two are vying for second place in an open primary, where the top two candidates from any party advance to the general election.
Kent now leads Herrera Beutler by 960 votes.
Thousands more ballots will be counted this week, but if current ratios hold, a recount looks possible. That would happen after election officials finalize the votes later this month. The Secretary of State's office did not immediately return a request for comment on the possibility of a recount.
Democrat Marie Gluesenkamp Perez has already secured her spot in the general election in the 3rd district. She has 64,718 votes (31%).
Kent has 47,623 (23%), and Herrera Beutler has 46,663 (22%).
Kent, a former Green Beret, has boosted Trump's lies about 2020 election fraud and endorsed the racist "white replacement theory." Kent announced his candidacy in the 3rd district shortly after Herrera Beutler, along with nine other Republicans, voted to impeach Trump.
On Election Day last Tuesday, Herrera Beutler was leading Kent by thousands of votes. But her lead narrowed with each day of counting.
Earlier on Monday, Kent said he was notified by election officials that his signature was not accepted when he first submitted his ballot. His signature and ballot have since been accepted.
Meanwhile, in the 4th Congressional District, another Washington Representative who voted to impeach Trump after the Jan. 6 insurrection, Dan Newhouse, is leading his Trump-backed challenger, former gubernatorial candidate Loren Culp, by 6,000 votes. The Associated Press Friday called that race for Newhouse and Democrat Doug White, who advance to face off in the general election in November.
Continue reading » -
Culp refuses to say whether he'll endorse GOP incumbent who voted to impeach Trump
In the primary election for Washington’s 4th Congressional District, Donald Trump’s pick, Loren Culp, has lost. And so far Culp is not endorsing anyone for the general election.
Incumbent Republican Dan Newhouse’s vote to impeach Trump drew several Republican challengers, including Culp, a former gubernatorial candidate and police chief. Now Newhouse faces Democrat Doug White in the general election.
In an email Monday, Culp refused to tell KUOW if he will endorse Newhouse. That “no comment” comes after Culp spent months calling Newhouse names like “swamp monster” and “RINO” (short for “Republican in name only”) over the incumbent’s vote to impeach Trump.
In 2020, Culp falsely blamed a stolen election for his loss in the Washington gubernatorial race against Democrat Jay Inslee.
This time Culp told KUOW he blamed four other Republicans for his primary loss: state lawmaker Brad Klippert, businessmen Jerrod Sessler, marketer Corey Gibson, and army vet Benancio "Benny" Garcia III.
Culp called the four “spoilers” for failing to get out of the way after Trump endorsed him.
“The biggest headwind was from spoiler candidates who claim to be America First and yet stayed in the race after the endorsement by President Trump — the de facto leader of the Republican Party," the Culp campaign wrote in an email.
Continue reading » -
Sue Bird's last Storm game (potentially): Today So Far
- Throughout her WNBA career, Sue Bird's jersey proudly stated "Seattle."
- It's National Farmers Market Week.
- Anxiety over last week's primary election hasn't subsided. If fact, it's become more intense in some races.
This post originally appeared in KUOW's Today So Far newsletter for August 8, 2022.
I'm not much of a football fan, but I know who Russell Wilson is. I'm not much of a golfer, but I know the name Tiger Woods. I might not personally be into sparkly vampires, but I am well aware of Edward roaming the Olympic Peninsula in "Twilight."
And I'm not much of a basketball fan, but I certainly know who Sue Bird is. That's the thing about people who do great things, or moments that are so culturally significant they become part of our collective awareness. Sue Bird is a four-time WNBA Champion and five-time Olympic gold medal winner — to name just a few of her many accolades. Throughout her WNBA career, her jersey proudly stated "Seattle."
That, and more, is why a sold-out audience at Seattle's Climate Pledge Arena chanted "Thank you Sue" Sunday, as Bird played her final regular season game with the Storm. After Bird was drafted by the Storm in 2002, she became synonymous with Seattle sports, a hometown hero, and a point of local pride. Through time, the city will always remember a class of athletes whose names are known among fans and and non-fans alike — Ken Griffey Jr., Ichiro, Payton, and Russell. And now, Sue Bird. Read more here.
While this was the last regular season game for Bird, those who still want to see her on the court may have a chance with the playoffs ahead.
It's a good thing that National Farmers Market Week takes place over a whole week, and isn't just a day, because it takes a whole week to get through all the markets across Seattle.
Continue reading » -
First-of-its-kind tsunami shelter opens on Washington coast
Shoalwater Bay tribal leaders say their new tsunami evacuation platform on the southwest Washington coast should serve as an example and inspiration for other vulnerable communities.
On Friday, Aug. 5, the tribe held a joyful dedication ceremony for the 50-foot tall tower in Tokeland. This double-decker tsunami evacuation tower resembles things previously built in Japan, but it's the first of its type in North America.
The two other tsunami refuge structures on the Northwest coast — in Newport, Oregon and Westport, Washington — are reinforced platforms on the roofs of a school or university building. The Tokeland tower platforms have a capacity for more than 400 people, which is considerably more than the population of the Shoalwater Bay Tribe. So, a lot of the tribe's neighbors can escape the waves too.
The most likely next place in the Northwest to build a tsunami evacuation tower is the town of Ocean Shores, Wash., which is working with an engineering company on the design.
There's much more to this story. Read the full story here.
Continue reading » -
Washington high schoolers can get academic credit for a paid job
About a third of Washington state’s high school students hold paid jobs on top of their studies.
A new program through the Office of the Superintendent for Public Instruction would honor that work experience with academic credit.
Superintendent of Public Instruction Chris Reykdahl recently announced that students 16 and older can earn up to four elective credits towards their diploma through their jobs. Students can choose any job as long as it is paid and verified by the school.
Reykdahl says students learn important lessons at work.
"Through work experience, students learn employability and leadership skills — skills like interpersonal communication, personal finance, time management, taking direction, receiving critical feedback, and following through on commitments — that support their long-term success in the workforce and in life,” Reykdal said.
Under the proposal, students would earn elective credits via their jobs — 360 work hours would equal one elective credit, or .5 credits for 180 hours. A student could earn up to four credits this way. No more than two credits can be earned in a single year.
Chetan Soni is going to be a junior at Lincoln Highschool and works part time as a fellow for the Alliance for Gun Responsibility. He's excited about the program and says getting credit for his job would help.
“I know it can be hard to navigate school, life, work balance," Soni said. "I think this is a great way (to) like reinforce that upon the new generation of workers.”
Some business owners say the program might encourage more students to work at a time when many are dealing with staff shortages.
The superintendent aims to have the program in place for the start of the 2023 school year.
Continue reading » -
Celebrate Farmers Market week in Seattle
Sunday, Aug. 7 marked the start of National Farmers Market Week and the Seattle City Council has issued a proclamation in appreciation of the 17 farmers markets across the city.
Jennifer Antos is with the Neighborhood Farmers Market Alliance. She said the markets strengthen the region’s food system by connecting producers directly with residents, regardless of their income.
“Just last year, providing more than $1.2 million in local food, to food-insecure households in Seattle, through programs like Fresh Bucks and SNAP Market match,” Antos said.
Antos said that farmers markets have also helped incubate small businesses by letting vendors sell their goods before they open brick and mortar shops.
One of them is Lily Anaya Quintanilla, who sold pupusas and Salvadoran tamales at Seattle farmers markets for more than 15 years before recently opening her own shop on Avalon Way in West Seattle.
“We are delighted to support and continue to support beginning BIPOC producers from environmentally conscious farmers to food entrepreneurs like Lily," Antos said.
Antos said the city’s continued backing allows them to serve various neighborhoods from Lake City on down to South Park.
On any given day of the week, Seattle residents are likely to find a farmers market somewhere in the city. The West Seattle, Capitol Hill, University District, and Ballard markets are held year-round, while others such as Lake City or Columbia City are seasonal.
Continue reading » -
'To us, she is the greatest of all time.' Sue Bird plays final regular game with Seattle Storm
WNBA and Seattle Storm star Sue Bird played her final regular season home game Sunday in front more than 18,000 fans — a sold out crowd at Climate Pledge Arena.
Bird, 41, spent her entire WNBA career with the Seattle Storm. She is a four-time WNBA Champion and five-time Olympic gold medal winner.
On Sunday, the arena was packed with super fans like Olivia Chiong of Seattle, who said that Bird is Seattle Sports.
“Because without her, Seattle Storm would not be where we are right now," Chiong said. "We’re one of the best teams in the league and Sue Bird is leading the way. We wanted to be here and we wanted her to know how much she means to us. And to us, she is the greatest of all time.”
Continue reading » -
It's a nail-biter in 3rd Congressional race
Election officials were still tallying votes in southwest Washington's closely watched 3rd Congressional District, as of Friday evening.
Incumbent Republican Jaime Herrera Beutler, who voted to impeach Donald Trump last year, is battling to stay in the race. On Friday, she was trailing Democratic challenger Marie Gluesenkamp Perez by almost 16,000 votes. And she was barely holding her lead over Trump-backed Republican challenger Joe Kent.
The district's open primary means the top two vote-getters advance to the general election, regardless of party affiliation. As of the final ballot drop on Friday, Herrera Beutler was just 257 votes ahead of Kent.
Tens of thousands of votes must still be counted.
Continue reading » -
Dan Newhouse, Doug White advance in 4th Congressional race
The Associated Press has called the race in Washington's 4th Congressional District.
Republican incumbent Dan Newhouse will advance to the general election with Democrat Doug White.
As of Friday evening, each had captured roughly 25% of the votes in that district's open primary election. Newhouse had just 140 more votes than White.
"The votes have clearly stated that it is time to put someone in office that can do the job for the people of Central Washington," White tweeted Friday.
Trump-backed candidate Loren Culp, a former police chief, was more than 6,000 votes behind Newhouse and White on Friday. Culp lost a bid for governor in 2020 and claimed — without evidence — there was voter fraud in that race. Earlier this week, he took to Twitter to claim election violations before any votes had been counted.
Newhouse was one of 10 Republicans who voted to impeach Trump last year.
Continue reading »